Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, September 7, 2026

A Big Cat (Game Camera Captures)

Over the weekend, Desiree and I made a trip to the cabin. Soon after arriving there, we gathered cards from our three game cameras, as is always our wont, to see what critters have been tip-toeing about in our absence.

We captured the requisite number of deer and a standard-issue image of a fox at night. But, most impressively, a mountain lion triggered images on the camera facing the cabin and then sauntered in front of a second camera I recently set just north of the cabin.

Even though I have been living in the mountains of Montana for my entire life, I have yet to see a mountain lion in person. They are simply too stealthy. This is the second time I have captured one on a game camera. The first camera offered up a fairly ghostly image. The second is pretty clear.

I am also sharing the capture of a bull elk from a third camera in the meadow south of the cabin.

All good stuff.

Mountain Lion on Camera #1

Mountain Lion on Camera #2

Bull Elk on Camera #3

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment