Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, October 2, 2026

Pale Juniper

As an electrician, I made a career out of calling attention to stuff that bothered me. In the construction industry, electricians are known for being, shall we say, persnickety. Apparently, this trait has chased along into my retirement.

Stuff is still bothering me.

Today we need to chat about pale junipers because they have been bothering me for quite some time. Here’s the thing: in theory, we have only one type of juniper tree growing in our region, the Rocky Mountain juniper. But on my property, I have several junipers that are pale green compared to the vast majority. The bark on the young branches is even slightly lighter in color.

Explain that, please.

I sent AI a couple of photographs comparing the pale juniper to others, and then we engaged in a lengthy discussion. In the long run, we both figure the pale junipers are the same species, but the pale types have a slight genetic kink. In my way of thinking, it’s equivalent to humans with blonde hair and blue eyes compared to brunettes with brown eyes. Both still have car payments, dirty dishes in the sink, an aversion to cold weather, and are otherwise human.

I’m a little less bothered now, but the electrician in me will never fully let go.

I have posted a photograph of two junipers growing side-by-side, with the pale juniper on the left. In person, the contrast is striking.

Junipers Growing Side-By-Side

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment