Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Another Drive-By Shooting


Many people consider a drive-by shooting from a highway in Vietnam one of my best photographs.
Allow me to explain.
A drive by shooting takes place when you hang your camera outside the window of a moving vehicle and take a snapshot.  The photograph in Vietnam is of a bicycle leaning against a door.  I saw the picture coming at me and had to time everything just right to capture the image as we sped past.
Yesterday, I left my house as a bit before 5:00 in the morning so I could drive to Missoula to teach a continuing education class.  The sun crested the mountains just as I reached the very top of the Continental Divide.  As I dropped down the other side, the clouds began to glow with muted tints and the colors emerged full from the surrounding landscape.
Pretty, yes.
Just for fun, I took a couple of drive-by shootings as I drove through the river and mountain countryside.  I am posting one that caught first full light on the Flint Creek Range.

--Mitchell Hegman

1 comment: