As my dented luck would have it, I stepped into a checkout line behind a young mother with a toddler seated in her cart just as the young boy started bawling with conviction. The mother did her best to placate her child while, at the same time, placing items on the belt.
After
a minute or so, the boy noticed me. "What's going on, buddy?" I
asked. Then I offered a smile and a few skewed faces. The boy immediately
stopped crying and studied me with a countenance that a mechanic might wear
when examining a handful of bolts left over after rebuilding an engine.
Before
long, the kid was pointing at the soda and candy on display next to him and
then looking back at me for my reaction.
We
had a thing, and he was calm and quiet as his mother completed her transaction
and bagged her groceries. She even thanked me for calming her son before
pushing off with her cart.
I'm
thinking I might try offering Desiree those same faces the next time she is
miffed at me to see if I can deliver her to a new state of mind.
—Mitchell
Hegman
No comments:
Post a Comment