Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, August 24, 2026

The Rogue Shirt

My shirt went rogue on me yesterday.

Early in the morning, I stepped outside my cabin in the cool mountain air wearing a long-sleeve button-up over a t-shirt. I immediately hiked out to pull and bag a small patch of knapweed I found about 100 yards from the cabin. Following that, I walked around the lower ten acres of my parcel to survey for other weeds.

Somewhere during this hour-plus excursion, conditions warmed and my button-up shirt went rogue and abandoned me. You might think I would have paid more attention to my shirt, but I tend to hyper-focus when it comes to warring with invasive weeds on my property.

Much later in the day, I wanted a long-sleeved shirt for another excursion. After ransacking the cabin to find the shirt, it dawned on me that I wore it earlier in the day on my weed mission. Before long, I found myself retracing my steps from the morning. Sure enough, at the heavily forested edge of my property, I found my shirt sprawled out in the boughs of a tree and sunning itself.

My Rogue Shirt

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment