Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, September 21, 2024

The Jobsite

I stopped by the shop of a contractor friend of mine. After visiting with him for a while, he invited me to join him on a visit to one of his nearby commercial building projects.

I eagerly accepted.

The jobsite turned out to be a mix of earth-moving equipment completing landscaping and crews conducting finishing work inside and outside of the structure. Some spaces in the building were finished, while other areas still revealed all the mechanical and electrical contrivances (the guts, if you will) that make the building function.

I enjoyed my work as an electrician. There is profound satisfaction in hoisting up a building from raw earth and seeing it all the way through to the finish. I miss burying conduits in the ground, running racks of pipe into mechanical rooms, pulling wires through raceways, and so much more. I have always loved a good project.

I’m thinking I should make regular visits to jobsites with my contractor friend. Just visiting provides sustenance.

Conduit in a Mechanical Room

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment