Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, September 30, 2024

The Locking Stick

I’m a big fan of using whatever materials are available to fix a problem. In some circles, this is referred to as “jury-rigging.” In certain instances, the tackiest solution to a problem works well enough that you adopt it permanently. Such is the case for the locking stick I use on the gate at the entrance to my cabin property.

When I first installed the gate, I simply chained and locked it to a post to keep it closed. Unfortunately, this allowed the wind to rattle the gate, creating a racket that could be heard up and down the narrow valley. To solve that problem, I figured out a way to slip a ¾-inch conduit into the gate to hold it in place. This worked up to a certain point, but persistent wind would eventually work the conduit free.

About 15 years ago, I found a pistol-shaped stick, whose “barrel” I can holster alongside the conduit to lock it in place. It’s a good stick, and it has not failed me once. I’m sharing a photograph of my locking stick.

The Locking Stick

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment