I would classify myself as a “non-kinetic” daredevil. I’m not the type to launch my motorcycle off a precipice or try to catch a bullet in my teeth. My daredevil stunts are steeped in the horticultural end of the spectrum. Put plainly, I allow poisonous plants to grow along the edge of my back deck.
In particular, I have allowed a bittersweet
nightshade to clamber about and flop down onto the deck itself. For those
unfamiliar, tomatoes and peppers are also members of the nightshade family. The
bittersweet nightshade is another one of those exotic invaders from Eurasia. As
far as thriving, they favor damp locations.
I find the plant quite attractive in all stages of
growth, but, sadly, all parts of this plant are highly toxic to humans, dogs,
cats, and many other animals. Also, this plant is a scoundrel that will overrun
a flower garden if you allow it.
But I wanted to push the outer edge of the
envelope, so I let this one run this year. This is what non-kinetic daredevils
do.
—Mitchell Hegman


No comments:
Post a Comment