Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, October 9, 2026

Late Bloomer

As a Montana native, I’m prepared for the weather to yank me out of summer and flop me directly into a snowbank at any given moment. As a matter of survival, I have a coat stashed away in my car and truck at all times.

Plants, on the other hand, face all of this harsh weather treatment shirtless and with their pants pulled down.

This is not always a winning strategy.

So, a week ago, here at the ragged end of fall, I discovered that one of the native soapweed yucca plants in my yard had shot forth a flower spike with an array of flowers preparing to bloom.

A little late, pal.

Flowering is a June activity for yucca. A bloom stalk appearing in early October is therefore a botanical curveball. I’m not sure how to explain it. We have been unusually mild this fall. I'm wondering if this has somehow fooled the plant in some manner.

I’m sharing a photograph of the yucca. Given our upcoming cold, I wonder how far the flowers will develop before the entire collection of us is flung into a snowbank.

Late Fall Yucca Flower

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment