Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, January 6, 2020

To Eat Beautifully


“You don’t eat beautifully,” said the woman sitting across the table from me.
“What?” I asked.
Let’s stop here for a moment.
I grew up in East Helena, Montana.  I, and most of my friends, learned what I would consider decent table manners.  Naturally, a few of us became outliers in the realm of good manners.  I know a few slurpers.  I have also been exposed to my share of double-dippers, finger-lickers, and (cringe) two fellas not opposed to pulling a plate up to their face and licking it.
But I am no outlier.
So…let’s start over.
Several years ago, while at dinner in a quiet restaurant, the woman sitting across the table from me said: “You don’t eat beautifully.”
“What?” I asked.  I was a bit stunned.
“You should learn to eat beautifully.  You make noise.  Sometimes, I can hear the fork click against your teeth.”
“That’s a problem?”
“It’s not beautiful.”
“Okay.  Thank you.”
As I mentioned, this conversation occurred many years ago.
I must admit, beyond that night I have not made efforts to eat beautifully.
—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment