Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, March 14, 2021

Darkness Plus

Last night, long after darkness, my cat decided he wanted out the front door.  As always, he pressed up against the door in anticipation as I approached to open it for him.

As soon as I opened the door wide enough, my cat slipped out.  An instant later, he backed himself inside again.

Something was out there.

Somewhat reluctantly, I opened the door a bit wider and leaned out into the darkness.

I saw ears.  Big ears.  I found myself in staring contest with a doe mule deer.  She had been raiding the birdfeeder.

I shrunk back inside.  “Dude,” I said to my cat., “it’s just a deer.”  I nudged him a little.  He slowly walked outside again.  I closed the door.

Doe mule deer are not scary.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment