Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, March 1, 2021

Fixed That

These days, doorbells communicate with computers.  Room thermostats connect to smartphones.  An automobile might pair with your smartphone, communicate with a satellite, or connect to any number of other small electronic devices.

This can become overwhelming in a hurry.

While visiting me, my brother-in-law, Terry, mentioned he was having trouble getting an iPod to play in his truck.  “I did everything I was supposed to connect, but I can’t get it to play.”

I asked: “Your truck allows you to select sources, right?”

“Yes.  I did all that.  It won’t play.”

“Huh.  Kinda weird.  Let’s go out to the truck right now and see if we can figure it out.”

Terry and I stomped out to his truck.  Once we climbed inside the truck, he started the engine and allowed the instrument panel to wake up.  The iPod was plugged into a USB port in the cubby between the front seats.  I picked up the device and flicked at the screen a couple times.  Everything seemed normal.

I glanced at the touch screen on his dash and saw the iPod featured there.  “Let’s try this,” I said.  I reached out and poked the PLAY/PAUSE button on the screen.

Music from the iPod throbbed throughout the cab.

“Fixed that,” I said.

Mitchell Hegman

1 comment: