Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, March 18, 2021

Sound Learning Experiences

I learned something. 

Before I talk about that, I want to talk about rattlesnakes.

I live in rattlesnake country.   I don’t see them often, but they are around.  During the summer months, I warn anyone new to the country to watch for them.  And I add this: “They don’t like confrontation and will you usually warn you if you are getting too close.  Trust me, you will instantly recognize the sound of a rattlesnake even if you have never heard one.  There is no mistaking the sound for anything else.”

Yesterday afternoon, I learned a new unmistakable and somewhat startling sound.

You can take this from me: If a woodpecker ever attacks the plywood sheathing on your house where you recently removed stucco, you will know exactly what the noise is.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment