Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Scent of Rain

Clouds. Strong wind. Then rain. Finally, the smell of wet stone and grass has filled the air after a long dry. I could not find all of Orion in the cloud-cross sky, but managed a glimpse of his sword when I gazed up as I drove away from my house on my early morning commute to work.

His sword will do.

I have been thinking much about Theresa Colley and her climb back to health. And if I were there with her, I would wish to be the scent of something like rain. Not to be the rain, but the scent of rain. I wish to be a small part of something bigger. All is captured within the scent of rain: loam, green tendril, solid stone, a child’s freshly washed hair, the hint of new flowers.

And if I cannot be the scent of rain, then, please, allow me to be Orion’s sword, fixed above and steady.

--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment