Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Going To Work


Not all commutes to and from work are created equal. I am, as example, convinced that I would not survive a steady diet of the 405 in Los Angeles. When I see images of all the on-ramps, off-ramps, loops, multi-lane, and single-lane roads splayed through the city, stacked in layers, tied into bowties, knit into granny-knots, and flopped overtop the metropolis, I get queasy. Imagine the upcoming mess when they purposefully close down a stretch for roadwork in a few days.

My commute to work, on the other hand, is always calm and often filled with lovely Montana diversions. The other day, I had to slow when I rounded one corner so that I might allow a gawky pair of sandhill cranes to totter across the road and flap up against a pink sky. I often stop for deer. On rarer occasions I allow elk or any number of more exotic critters to cross ahead of me. During the transitional and warm seasons, I leave very early just so I might stop someplace on my way into Helena along one of several routes I might choose. I may stop and watch a storm roll though, which is our version of heavy traffic. Sometimes I drive to water and catch the sun or moon skipping reflections across the surface.

The sky is my garden out here. And I drive right through my garden on the way to work. Here, I have posted a picture from my commute to work yesterday morning.

--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment