Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

After (Open and Closed)

All day, the sky remained closed and gray.  A chill rain fell on the noon hour.  I drove to Butte and back again through a mix of snow and rain.  The mountains opened and closed around me.  After work, I drove back home in rain that gradually swung into slanting flurries of snow.
Eventually, I came upon the place in the road where, last week, a car collided with a mule deer.  This week, the ravens and magpies have rent open the rib cage of the deer carcass still flung there alongside the road.  As I drove by, I saw ravens feeding inside the red and snow ribcage.  Just last week that deer jumped the nearby fence.
This week, scavengers are jumping in and out of the deer’s open belly.
--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment