Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Attack of the American Robins


At 9:10 yesterday morning, as I exited the side door of a house I was visiting, I came under sudden attack from a pair of American robins.   The robins swooped in and mobbed me from places unseen.  While one robin circled around, the other one flew in from behind and smacked the top of my head with its wings and feet.
I will admit, I was a bit startled, but unhurt.
As I ducked away, the pair of robins lighted in the branches of some nearby aspen trees and glared at me.  Both birds had their feathers puffed-up so they appeared to be the size of softballs.  They watched every move I made as I slunk away.  Once I was a few steps beyond the door, one of the birds flapped back to a nest I had not noticed on a trim ledge just above the door.
They had mobbed me to protect their nest.
I snapped a quick photograph with my twice-as-smarter-than-me phone (which I am posting today) and left the birds to their nest.
You must agree that the robin appears to be pretty stern and a little scary in this photograph.

--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment