Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, September 25, 2015

Cancer Awareness


Yesterday, I got caught in a “Breast Cancer Awareness” game on Facebook.  You know what I am talking about.  Someone posts an outrageous statement such as: “I just had coffee with an alien from outer space.”

If you comment on the post, the friend responsible for the post messages you details about the awareness campaign.  You are given a list of outrageous posts.  You are to choose one of the posts for your own status so you might keep the chain going.

I never make such posts on my own Facebook.

I am not in any way offended by these games, though I have read a few blistering indictments of them.  I simply want to keep my Facebook status more personal.

Cancer sucks.

I lost my parents and my wife of nearly thirty years to cancer.

My wife suffered.

At one time I gave a fair amount of money to a variety of cancer charities.  Recent scandals involving some of the larger organizations have led me to give only to local organizations.

Sigh.

Anyhow…this is my way of keeping things going.  I suggest you support any cancer-fighting or cancer research organization that you trust.  Give your heart to any family where a loved one is fighting this wretched disease.
 
Be kind in general.

--Mitchell Hegman

1 comment: