Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

The Hawk and the Robin


Yesterday, while walking through the forest near my cabin, I watched a hawk fold in midair and drop into a nearby fir tree, vanishing among the thick bows.  A great commotion followed.  I heard robins calling frantically from the tree.  A few moments later, the hawk flapped skyward again, a fledgling robin clutched in its talons.  An adult robin chased after the hawk, crying.
The birds soon melted back into the mountains around me.  Nothing left but the sound of a breeze sifting through the pines and purple lupine nodding against the green grass below.
Me?
I walked on, a bit saddened.
Just the same, I am not here to judge hawks.

--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Darwin's survival of the fittest in action!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Sometimes watching the clockworks in action is a bit difficult. But this is it should be.

    ReplyDelete