Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, January 3, 2019

Feeding the Fish


We were in a place where mountains descended directly into a vast lake.  Perhaps an ocean.  We stood at the shore of a small bay with a rocky beach.  The bay was little more than a slot opening in thick evergreens trees and underbrush.  Waves rolled against the stones in an unceasing rhythm.
Here’s a strange thing.  There were two of us, but I cannot be sure exactly who the other person was.  I have the vague impression it was that girl.
I was close to the water and had something in my hand.  I am not sure exactly what I held in my hand, but it was no bigger than a mouse and fish would eat it. 
I stepped within a few inches of the waves and held the thing in my hand out in an effort to attract fish.  I had in my mind that fish would most certainly be attracted.
After no more than a few seconds, an incoming swell appeared in the water before me.
A school of small fish pushing to shore?
One big fish coning into collect the thing from me?
I jiggled the thing in my hand.
The swell reached the shore.  A big, dark form lay under the swell.  Upon reaching the shallows, the dark shape leapt up and became a half-ton grizzly bear lunging at me.
I fell back with a gasp and woke in bed with the red light from my digital clock falling cross my face.  The clock displayed 4:33 (mountain grizzly time?).
Definitely time to get up.
—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a strange dream! I wonder what subconscious contained that triggered it. Were you seeking something only to find out it's too overwhelming for your peace of mind? Of course we don't really know how dreams happen or if they are even just a product of our subconscious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure where this dream came from, but it certainly brought me wide awake!

      Delete