Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

The Headline is the Entire Story


When skimming around on the internet, I regularly stop in to see what’s going on at Live Science (https://www.livescience.com).  I find some pretty interesting stuff there.  I will admit, some of the articles and information supplied there is a bit above my pay grade.  And sometimes, an article may serve only to confuse me.
This morning I found something at Live Science that stopped me dead in my tracks (and slapped me around a bit).  It was the following headline:
If Aliens Are Causing Weird Dimming of 'Tabby' Star,' They Aren't Using Lasers to Do It
Wow.  
My head immediately filled with questions.
What is Tabby Star and why are we looking at it?  What, exactly, is “weird dimming?”  What do you mean, lasers?  What?  Aliens?  Is it too early for Scotch?
I read the headline one more time.   
I read the headline a third time and then glanced at the first paragraph, in which the phrase “alien superstructure” caught my eye.
I checked the time: 5:07 AM.
Not too early for Scotch.
—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment