Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, September 7, 2019

Mistakes, Not Mistakes


I sat under a lodgepole tree and gave consideration to my life.  What might I consider as my mistakes?   What events and decisions were not mistakes?
I thought long, sitting there under the tree.
Of immediate contemplation.  What about resting my forearm against the muffler of a chainsaw I had just shut-down after swinging it like a screaming sword to whack a pile of branches into pieces?
The result a burn.  That: MISTAKE.
But what beyond that?
Marrying a Vietnamese refugee: NOT A MISTAKE.
Trying to adjust the carburetor on my 1964 my Ford Mustang: MISTAKE.
Career as an electrician: NOT A MISTAKE.
Sitting next to the French woman while on the Li River tour boat in Southern China: MISTAKE
Taking some kind of camera everywhere I go: NOT A MISTAKE.
Not taking photographs of people: MISTAKE.
Learning to juggle: NOT A MISTAKE.
Stomping on ants: MISTAKE.
Stomping around the dance floor: NOT A MISTAKE.
Buying potato chips: MISTAKE.
Learning to tie my own shoes: NOT A MISTAKE.
Trying to find value in silence: MISTAKE.
Catching the first pink light of day: NOT A MISTAKE.
—Mitchell Hegman

3 comments:

  1. I would very much like to know about the French woman in China, I feel as though there is a story there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm. Well, I can begin here with telling you she was pretty rude. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did she speak English or do you speak French? I encountered a couple at the grocery store a couple weeks ago who were speaking German and they were MAD about the deli counter offerings, particularly because I bought chicken before they did and they had some special words about me. I turned around and said "Ich verstehe dich" (I understand you). Sudden, crashing silence.

    ReplyDelete