Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Uyen Dao Hegman (1952-2011)








































The Long Goodbye:


5-1-2011

There is no getting off the train now.  We are barreling toward the last station and the sun is dropping through orange clouds behind us.  A woman who looks eerily similar to Sylvia Plath is seated in front of us, chatting with a soldier home from war.

We flash through a gloomy city filled with dusky warehouse buildings and bruised tenements with bricks missing from the facades and corners, panes of glass gone from the windows.  The country, once we rumble out of the city, is stark mostly without trees or even a long roll of landscape.

But what if I am wrong?  What if the soldier is just now shipping off to war?

***

Uyen’s legs have turned into bags of sand.  She can no longer move them at all.  Her vision sometimes goes fuzzy.  She is no longer able urinate or initiate a bowel movement.  The tumors in her brain are injecting heaviness and uselessness into the rest of her body.  Still, when I glance over at her, she manages a smile.

5-3-2011

There is no protected lee side on this island, friend.  The idea is just to hang on through the storm.

5-4-2011

For nearly ten days I have been lifting Uyen in and out of bed, in and out of her chair, and wheeling her between the two in her wheelchair.  Today, she was at a markedly low level of function.  Mostly she slept in her chair.  We never engaged in any manner of real conversation all day…not until late this evening when I purposely glanced her way and found her eyes fixed on me.  “I’m sort of bed-ridden now, aren’t I?” she commented.

“Yes, you are,” I answered her.

“That’s not good, is it?”

“No.  You need to be upright to remain healthy.”

“Maybe tomorrow I can try to stand and walk.”

“That’s a good idea,” I affirmed.

Uyen nodded.

Tomorrow.  Then, we begin all over again.

5-5-2011

Nope.  No walking today.  No standing upright.  Not even so much as sitting upright.  Uyen’s body has betrayed her, has become a big bag filled with Jell-O and bones.  In the last hour, she has taken to shaking.  Strangely, she feels no pain.

A few days ago, she stopped using the 3-day Fentanyl pain patches.  She blamed them for her “weakness” and inability to walk.  She blamed me for fouling her stomach by giving her some wrong pills at a bad time of day.  In truth, the steroids are clawing at her stomach.  As for her trembling, I suspect her body is feeling pain and reacting to it.  I sat beside her and reasoned as best I could.  “Maybe,” I suggested, “the shaking is your body telling you that you are in pain, like the way you spasm when your legs sense something.”

Nice try on my part.

Amazing, that she feels nothing of the cancer that has ravaged her from head to toe.  Not even a slight headache.  Today, however, is the first day she didn’t smile at me.  Not a single smile all day.

***

We are not in this lovely sunset evening together.  She has no desire to talk, but she is not asleep, lying supine in her bed.  Sometimes, I simply sneak into the bedroom sit in a chair beside her.  Her eyes fall open and remain that way.  She looks up long at the ceiling but is obviously seeing something either nearer or far more distant and immense than that.

This morning, Millissa, her hospice nurse, asked me if I had told her that it was okay for her to leave.

“She still thinks that she is staying,” I answered.  “I can’t be the one to say otherwise.”

She would never forgive me for that betrayal.  Not me.  I can’t be the one to cheat her out of this life we shared.  I thought, as Millissa went into the bedroom to talk with Uyen alone, about The Jilting of Granny Weatherall, the famously grim short story written by Katherine Anne Porter. 

We are not entering the pink house.  We are not ascending the verdant hill.  We are not so many things.

***

Did someone else say that God sometimes wields a sledgehammer…or was that me?

5-6-2011

Uyen has developed catlike behaviors—not the quirky leaps and quickness, not the sharp eyes—rather, she has reached the far end of the feline spectrum.  I sometimes enter her room and find her eyes open, but both unfocused and unflinching.  She now refuses food and pills and will sip only the sparest amount of water.

Cats do that.  Cats do that and I know the reasons why.

***

Uyen’s brother called from Vietnam.  I can’t understand anything he says.  Though I hated to do so, I took the phone into Uyen’s room and pressed it against her cheek.  “I think it is your brother.  You need to talk with him, I can’t.”   They spoke only a few words.  She told him that she was not doing well at all.

5-7-2011

Uyen said today that she wants to fall asleep and not wake up again.  “I am tired of people fussing over me,” she added.

The quiet and the unease are long. 

5-8-2011

Mother’s Day.  Helen missed her connecting flight in Denver.  All the way from London and through New York, only to have a connection in Denver monkey-wrench the trip home to see her mother.  As I write this, she is driving home through Wolf Creek Canyon, having caught a flight to Great Falls, ninety miles north of our home. 

A few minutes ago, I heard Uyen moaning, which has become her signal that she wants something.  Usually she wants water.  For a while I could hold a straw to her lips and she would draw water from a glass.  Once she failed at that, I took to pouring sips in her mouth with a tiny medicine cup.  When I rushed to Uyen’s side to see what she needed, she issued the first full sentence of the day.  I didn’t understand her at first and asked her to repeat.  “I need to be stirred up,” she said.

“Stirred up?”  I leaned in closer.  “Do you want me to move you in the bed?”

“Stirred up…yeah.”

In spite of circumstances, we both laughed.

“Okay, dear, I’ll stir you up.”

***

Helen arrived home, went to Uyen’s bedside, wished her mother a “happy Mother’s Day,” and burst into tears.

5-9-2011

Early this morning, I dragged a blanket and some pillows into Uyen’s room and I curled up on the floor just so I could listen to her breathing.  Roxie, her little cat, has been sleeping one her bed most of the day, purring.

Today, we began a new phase.  I am to make my dear wife vanish one drop at a time.  I am the one giving her liquid morphine and ativan.  Each drop I give makes her vanish a bit deeper inside.  She has stopped moaning for more water.  From the outside, I make giving her the drops look easy, like feeding a saved bird or a bunny, but only I know that each clear droplet weighs a full ton.  Each drop crushes both of us.

5-10-2011

Outside, in the pre-dawn indigo, the new grass looks black.  The mountains are gray.  So dawns the most quiet and desperate day.

5-11-2011

Somewhere near 1:30 this morning, something took me back into Uyen’s room.  Something about her breathing.  The short draw.  The long holding silence.  I stood beside her for a while.  I kissed her cheek.  I touched her hand with a single finger.  Afraid to leave her alone again, I went out into the living room and then dragged blankets and pillows into the room so that I could nest on the floor.

I was not on the floor long before the faltering and odd rhythms of Uyen’s breathing brought me upright and beside her again.  I stood there for no more than five minutes before I left Uyen’s bedside and leaned into Helen’s room. 

“Helen.  Helen, wake up.  She is very close.”

Back in Uyen’s room we each took a side of the bed and took up Uyen’s hands.  Helen was there for only a few sparse seconds before Uyen drew in the last sweet air, gently exhaled again.  All the clocks at 2:00.  The moonshine world outside gone gray.  The silence with a new kind of weight entirely new to me and Helen.

 --Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment