Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

First Kiss of Summer

Rain fell across my roof just before sunrise, sounding like dozens of kittens padding over. Once the rain stopped, I stepped outside to warm rainsmell and the occasional cool tap against my arm and cheeks of lingering droplets finding a way down from the lolling clouds. As I watched, the new sun slowly brushed watercolor orange and yellow and red into the highest peaks and clouded sky above the Big Belt Mountains. The final drops of rain began to mist before reaching me.

I have always been drawn the sunrise. This is something I cannot explain. Today, when the sun appeared over the muted blue range, it came with a rainbow sundog in lockstep. I swear to you, Love, witnessing the dawn of this day felt exactly like that first time we really kissed, down at the lakeshore those twenty-some years ago.

--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment