Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, February 25, 2013

Huckleberry Day



Every summer in Montana, starting somewhere near the end of July and extending through most of August, the huckleberries ripen where they grow wild in the mountains. Huckleberries tend to ripen at lower elevations first and then the ripening gradually ascends up through the higher peaks.  I have been following the ripening berries from valley floors to the powder-horn peaks and gun-sight passes for the last twenty years. 
During a summer of abundance, I might pick six to eight gallons.  I recall one year when a fungal blight called mummy berry decimated the berries in all of my normal “honey holes.”  That year, several days of seeking everywhere yielded barely a cup of berries.
The summer of 2012 provided a bumper crop of berries—maybe the best I have ever seen.  Yesterday, several of my berry-picking companions drove out to my house and we baked several huckleberry pies using some of our gathered bounty.  We did not notice until we pulled one set of pies from the oven what we had also made.
The picture below says it all.    


--Mitchell Hegman

1 comment: