Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Negative Shadows


Today, I have posted a copy of a photogram I produced while attending a photography class at Montana State University.   Photograms are produced by placing objects on light sensitive materials and then exposing the objects and sensitive materials to a limited source of light.
In the case of this photogram, I held a 60 watt light bulb against a sheet of 8 x 10 black and white photographic paper and then exposed the paper to the light from a photographic enlarger in a darkroom.
Bingo.
Black and white art.
Well, a certain amount of chemical development was also required to bring forth an image on the paper.
At one time I had darkroom equipment and all the fixings to develop my own black and white film and produce my own images.  But today I am digital.  Though reluctant to give up my old SLR film camera and all the associated equipment, the ease of digital photography and the scarcity of film stock pushed me to the electronic side.  By 2009 even Kodak stopped selling 35mm color film.
I am happily here today, but still retain a few of my negative shadows.
 

--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment