Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

I Sat There in my Car


I don’t even recall what triggered the initial thoughts about my wife, but by the time I pulled up to my house and sat waiting for the automatic door opener to pull the door high enough that I might enter the garage, I had been thinking for a while.  Back beyond the disease.  Past the walkers and the wheelchairs.  Beyond what she called the “big numb.”
I thought about how together we hiked the high mountains all around me.  I could hear her footsteps behind me.  She could jump then.  She could run.
When the door finally pulled fully open, I remained sitting there in my car.
I just sat there for a very long time with my foot firmly on the brake and chill air from the vents blowing across my arms and face.
Sometimes, I don’t want to finish going home.
--Mitchell Hegman

6 comments:

  1. Uyen touched so many lives in such a joyous positive way ~ I, too, miss her everyday ~ ♥

    Judy Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how that is. Powerful description.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that you do, Ariel Murphy. You, more than anyone...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think about Uyen a lot, and then I smile because I got to know her and she enriched my life.

    ReplyDelete