Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

My Smarter-Than-Me-Phone


Sometimes, my technical-device-challenged sister will ask to borrow my Droid so she can make a phone call.  I will ask whom to call, flick through all the proper screens and menus, dial or bring up the appropriate number, press the onscreen call button, and then hand the phone over to her when as the call dials out.

After blah-blah-blahing for a while—all the while madly throwing her free hand above her head the way bronc riders do—my sister will end her conversation.

This is when things get interesting.

At the end of the conversation, she will yank the phone from away from her ear and swing the screen in front of her face.  After staring at the screen in bewilderment for bit, she will then start shaking the phone the way you shake a can of spray paint before using it.  At this point I usually pat her on the head gently and grab my poor phone back.

“That…um…is not really a smartphone function,” I will remind her.

“I don’t get it,” she will mutter.

“It’s okay,” I assure her.

My sister is an exceptionally bright person.  Really, she is.  The smartphones, however, have left her in the proverbial dust.  She is not alone.  I suspect most of us have someone like this in our circle of friends or our family. 

I will admit to struggling when I first started using a smartphone.  After my first week or two of wading through mysterious screens, selecting wrong numbers, taking movies instead of pictures, and finally learning to turn on the flashlight, I started calling my smartphone my “smarter-than-me-phone.”  When I upgraded to my newest version, I called it my “twice-as-smarter-than-me-phone.”   I am fully aware that this last “pet” name is taking a wrecking-ball to the English, but I think my point is made.

Ultimately, I have learned to love my smartphone.  When texting or calling, I trust but verify the numbers.  I use the flashlight almost daily.  I read and send emails.  I surf the internet.  I use the camera.  Posted today are two smartphone photographs I captured just yesterday evening while out walking the road near my house with that girl.

More on her name later…



Add caption
--Mitchell Hegman

3 comments:

  1. I could relate to your story. Geez I don't even know how to use the flashlight in my phone. But yes, those smart phones take good pictures. Thanks for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really do take a pretty good pic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smartphones are complex, and decidedly so. The nature of communication now is so multilayered and vast that you really have to keep up, in ways that will still at least be very portable. That's what smartphones are: they give us access not only to personal calls and texts, but also to the World Wide Web. I'm glad you are enjoying what you've got right now, though you can always get an upgrade or another, more simpler one alongside it.

    Clara Brooks @ Telco World

    ReplyDelete