Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, October 15, 2017

What Are The Popular Girls Up To These Days?

The construct of one’s popularity is somewhat nebulous.  Popularity is as difficult to define as love and as fleeting as lust.  But during seventh and eighth grade, especially for girls, “popularity” seems a real thing.
Popular girls flounce with the stuff.
Some popular girls are magnanimous and inclusive in their popularity.
Others are harsh queens.
Outside these two distinct courts of popularity, all the other girls (and boys) simply try to get along and try not to get run over.
For whatever reason, one of the “popular” girls in my daughter’s eighth grade class bullied my daughter on more than a few occasions.  My daughter was easily strong enough to survive that sort of thing, but I recall several times when she and I discussed all of this in depth.  I tried to assure her that popularity in eighth grade does not necessarily translate into beauty or success in the long term.
The other day, in our local newspaper, an article featured a story about the popular girl who bullied my daughter.
What are the popular girls up to these days?
Felony methamphetamine possession and criminal trespass, in this case.

--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment