Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, February 1, 2019

Twenty-Two Miles to the Next Mountain


In just a bit over an hour of time, you can drive the entire length of Grand Cayman Island on existing roadways.  As a crow flies, this is a mere twenty-two miles in distance.
When you first land on the island, you don’t fully comprehend the smallness.  But as you drive about day after day, clicking off the same scenes, seeing white waves rolling against the same edges of the island, and when you learn that the communications tower you see just across the way is actually the other side of the island, the smallness gains weight.
A mountain would be helpful.
I have a certain desire for mountains.  I need something in addition to cell towers holding the sky in place.
Distance is also a real thing.
From my house, I can easily see a mountain twenty-two miles in the distance.  I can drive to that mountain and see another mountain some twenty-two miles in the distance and (travelling in roughly the same direction) drive to that mountain.  I can drive all day, in fact, and never run out of landscape.
If I choose the proper direction, I will not run out of mountains.
I require that.
—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment