Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, February 16, 2020

Falling Again


I am not sure how many documentaries about 9-11 and the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center I have seen.  I am going to guess I have watched seven or eight.
I watched another last night.
Thing is, I am stupid for watching these documentaries.  My heart breaks each time I watch.   I cringe seeing smoke billowing from the twin towers.  Worse, is seeing people leaning outside the glass walls, having been chased there by fires raging inside.  And, though I know this is impossible, a part of me always hopes some of those poor souls will not begin jumping from the upper floors.  A dumb but inflexible little piece of me hopes the towers won’t fall this time.
—Mitchell Hegman

5 comments:

  1. Oh, same, to all of this. 9/11 was our Pearl Harbor and we watched it happen in real time, which is pretty incredible considering where media as a whole was at the time compared to now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our daughter was living in Manhattan when 9-11 occurred. Her boyfriend (at the time) lived very near the towers. Fortunately, she managed a cell call to us before the system was overwhelmed. Thankfully, she and her boyfriend were safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fiance was stationed at Walter Reed in DC on 9/11. He was supposed to be in the Pentagon that morning but his CO was delayed. He spent the day running guard duty on operating a secure elevator to transport people brought in that were injured and worse. I don't know he sleeps through the night sometimes, given what he experienced but we're weirdly resilient that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct...every American was affected. I can only imagine the emotions still gripping by your fiance. I am less angry and more heartbroken these days, but I will never forget how I felt the day the of the attack.

      Delete
  4. I don't think anyone in the country wasnt affected, honestly. Which I think is why most us watch those documentaries with that glimmer of hope and the chance of a rewind.

    ReplyDelete