Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Generous Man

Early this morning, I watched a somewhat emotionally heavy movie about a fatherless boy and his mother, who struggled mightily to make ends meet and find happiness. Partway through the movie, a heroic figure (handsome man) stepped forth and lifted everyone with his generosity and love. He filled the void where the boy's father should have been. He helped the mother better her financial state. As I watched, I considered how wonderful I might feel if I helped people. In fact, I could give up most of my earthly belongings and spend all of my time doing just that. Maybe I could move to some struggling third-world country (or perhaps someplace near Big Sur, California, because that place is awesome) where I might teach the locals vital skills that would lift everyone from poverty. I could sort-out which vital skills might be required to remove the veil of poverty upon arrival to my chosen place. Maybe, to ease the logistics, I could volunteer at the local food bank and do whatever they wanted me to do.

Or, perhaps, I was merely hungry.

Hungry. That made more sense. While the handsome man in the movie took the fatherless boy to a park to play, I went and made myself some toast.

Mitch Hegman: saving the world one gap-toothed man at a time.

--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment