Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

George Drummond Bell (and Dallas), 1980


Grandfather

After purchasing my first 35mm, SLR camera, I began toying with black and white photography. I took this picture one Saturday afternoon when I stopped by to see my grandparents. I have since taken hundreds of thousands of pictures. This still remains my favorite picture of all. You can see how Grandfather wears his generosity and honesty on the outside. He and my grandmother took us kids into their house and raised us, instead of settling into a comfortable retirement, following the ugly demise of our own family life. I would give nearly anything to be standing there with him again. They are long gone and I will never be able to thank them enough.

--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment