Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Lazy

I am now convinced that I have a very lazy thought process so far as emotions and relationships are concerned.  I don’t go out of my way to find traits that annoy me about other people.  I don’t compile mental lists of transgressions and carry them with me everywhere I go. I don’t expend much energy devising sharp responses to barbs thrown in my direction.  I try to always judge my own reaction to a negative input before I judge the person pressing the input button—the data within me is much easier to access and then process.  I simply try to ignore character flaws that might regularly surface in people around me; I am fully occupied with controlling my own and don’t need to work on those belonging to others.  If someone uses a word incorrectly or uses an expression improperly, but I fully understand their meaning, I don’t waste my time correcting them.  I try to have only a single argument about a single issue.  As a general rule, embracing people and treating everyone the same, strikes me as much less taxing than creating spectrum of my own behaviors based on an equally complicated menu of agendas and yardsticks I am forced to maintain.    
I am lazy.
Often, though, I am happy.
--Mitchell Hegman      

2 comments:

  1. Wow you are a really powerful writer! I am writing the last line down in my sketchbook as a reminder. Hope you are well Mr. Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that is what being lazy is then I am so grateful I am lazy!!! I enjoy my peaceful way of understanding that I am only in charge of me and how I react to others. I cherish life and want to live every second in the peace of that laziness...
    Love your writings Mitch!

    ReplyDelete