Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Overtime and Undertime


On occasion, my mind will work overtime.  I recall, as illustration, spending the better part of two weeks drawing, calculating, redrawing, and recalculating the same DC theory combination circuit to solve for all voltage drops.  I must have reworked the same problem fifty times just to ensure that I understood every step.
Contrarily (and you might argue more commonly), my mind drops into something I call “undertime” mode.   In undertime mode my mind stops driving the car and sort of drifts off the roadway and into the alfalfa field where it then randomly bumps into stuff.
Goofy thoughts occur. 
Today, as example, when my mind floated off as I read an email, I chanced on a “Q” in the upper case somewhere in the text.  I stopped reading and stared at the Q.
I am now ruined for life.
In undertime mode I realized that the capital Q had a tongue and was trying to lick the letter next to it.
The letter Q will never be the same again.
--Mitchell Hegman

 

1 comment: