Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Love Calculator


Along with vast resources for finding photos of men mauling rabbits and seemingly infinite opportunities for shoe shopping, the internet may provide you with valuable informational tools.  In my work as an instructor in the electrical industry, I have found zillions of resources for technical tips and information.
I am particularly fond of the “online calculators” out there.  Take my word for it; some of the calculations required in my line of work are complicated.  Many require the actual application of trigonometry and algebra and terms such as “voltage nominal” and “fault-current, symmetrical”.
I know…crazy stuff.
There are many calculators available for sizing conduit relative to the size of the wire used.  Others are very handy for determining the size and output of solar photovoltaic systems.  One of my favorites will determine the fault current available at various points in an electrical system—beginning at the power provider’s transformer outside and ending at your plug-in air freshener.  Bottom line, this will tell you how big the fireball will be when a fault occurs. 
Good to know.
The layers upon layers of variables and mathematical computations required for fault-currents are mind-boggling.  One must consider the magnetic properties of the raceways (pipes), the type of wire used, the length and size of the wires, the type of supply transformer, the voltage, and on.  The online calculators have distilled all of this down to inputting six fields and pressing a button.
Nice!  
So, I asked myself, “Self, if there is a calculator for this, might a calculator exist for everything?”  
The next logical step was keying into a search engine. Two words:  love calculator.  Bingo!  A whole page of results.   I clicked on the very first one found—from Dr. Love.  Easy as pie.  Only the name of a female and the name of a male required for the calculation.
I typed in two names.  I poked the “calculate” button.  A graphic swirl and… boom!   The answer: 56% chance of love, though stormy.  I input two new names.   80% Chance with sweetness abounding.
Might true love and happiness be simply a name-change away?
--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment