Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, August 17, 2012

When the Wind Blows


On April 10, 1996 a wind speed of 253 miles-per-hour was recorded in Barrow Island, Australia.  The wind, resulting from a typhoon, is the strongest recorded to date.
I can only imagine what a wind that strong might do.  Twice in my life I have been standing in a pine forest when strong winds toppled a tree only a few feet from where I stood.  I have seen roofs lifted against stormy skies and yard furniture shuffled into jumbles.  I have seen photographs of dimension lumber driven into concrete block by fierce gusts.
A couple of nights ago, a terrific windstorm assaulted my house.  The winds arose quite suddenly, causing my whole house to crack its knuckles.  Pressure punched at my ears.  The linden tree in my front yard smeared into an overwrought stance, the leaves hissing.  At the time, I had several windows cracked partially open for fresh air.  Fearing that the winds might rip the panes and sashes away, I quickly trotted around the mostly unlit rooms of my home and cranked shut the windows.
Soon after, my house plunged into darkness when the power lines slapped together and shorted-out the supply grid someplace in the east valley.  My house remained without power for many hours.
I did not notice until this morning the pine needles forced into the corner of my screen.
Most Interesting thing?   The nearest pine tree is at least 100 feet away.

--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment