Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Raccoons


The local raccoons think that my purpose is to feed them birdseed.  Really, my purpose is to drive to work slowly in the morning and anger everyone in a hurry behind me. 
We all have a purpose.
Some of us slow down with ours.
I like the raccoons because they don’t run away when I step outside and talk to them.  “What’s with the burglar costumes?” I asked.  “And all those claws?”  The raccoons usually appear as a whole family, threading up through the sage and tall grass single file—the little ones a bit behind at the end of the line.  The raccoons seem harmless enough but I always keep in the back of my mind that biologists have documented white-tailed deer eating baby songbirds when they chance upon them in a nest. 
--Mitchell Hegman

3 comments:

  1. Some would look at the color and shape of clouds and see either forthcoming rain or a rainbow.

    Some would be confronted by a closed door and imagine beyond it either the Pearly Gates or a bogeyman.

    While there is no telling what a person or a situation will really turn out to be, I nevertheless wonder at what point exuberance turns into trepidation, hope into fear, and naiveté into cynicism.

    Exactly when and what manner of little deaths occur to alter our perceptions or cause us to freeze in hesitation? Should we keep ourselves from smelling the roses simply because there are thorns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I get enough encouragement and inspiration why not Mitchell Hegman? :)

      Delete