Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Digging Out


Following a whole weekend of blizzards, some of us are still trying to extricate our cars and our lives from snow accumulations.  On Sunday morning, I bundled myself in heavy clothing, fired-up my snow-plow-equipped ATV, then blasted through the snow to clear my drive as well as my neighbor’s drive, and open the quarter-mile of country road that connects us to East Helena and then (in theory) Chicago and San Francisco.
Yesterday morning, while meeting with John, my young business partner, I took a call from June, a mutual friend.  “Can you help me?” she asked.  “My car is snowed-in.”
Within a half hour both John and I were across town alongside June, shoveling snow from around her car.  After no more than five minutes we managed to finish and then pushed her car free from the snow-piled curbside.  On our drive back through town, I got off onto another snow-bound side street to negotiate around our local version of “malfunction junction.”  As we drove along, I said to John, “How would you feel if I turned around and we helped another woman dig out her car?”
“Okay,” he said.  “What woman?”
“We just drove by her.  We have our shovels.”
“Sure.”
I flipped directions, drove back a block or so, parked, and then John and I got out and started to dig snow alongside the youngish woman.  We didn’t say much.  After a few minutes I said, “I think that will do.”
The woman thanked us and we went on our way to a warmer than expected day.
--Mitchell Hegman

1 comment:

  1. NICE!!! That is what life is about. Thank you for being you! Enjoy every moment. :)

    ReplyDelete