Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Sunset, November 5, 2012


I tried to ignore the sunset yesterday evening as I sat in my house watching the talking heads on television dicing-up these United States and the electoral votes as we head into what will surely be a close presidential election.  Almost every time someone attempted to explain why Obama would sweep this region or Romney would surge in that zip code I thought about a line from a Richard Hugo poem: 
“My kind of man could never be president, only a target for the common cold…”
Perhaps not exact, but something near that.
I tried to ignore the sunset, but the colors kept spilling into my house from outside and the talking heads all started to merge together into one big mumbling blob in my mind.   I thought to myself: Mitch, your camera is sitting ten feet away from you.  When I looked over to my camera, sitting there on my dining room table, I saw that the sunset colors were even beginning to stain the black camera body a little red.
Yep.  I grow weak when you start to throw colors at me.
Here is my picture.

--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments: