Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

A Man Buying Bananas in Salt Lake City


Martha and I stopped by a Smith’s Grocery in Salt Lake City to buy a few items, including a bunch of bananas.  That’s where we saw “the man,” there at the banana display.  He was holding a bunch of bananas aloft and doing unspeakable things to them.  I swear, if those bananas were a person of any sex and the man was doing the same things to them, the man would have been arrested and locked-up for molestation.  I froze in place and watched the man squeezing, poking, sniffing, and, well, no other word for it, caressing the bananas. 
He would not leave them alone.
Martha quickly grabbed her bananas and we whisked away.  But I kept looking back.
The man was still mauling the bananas.
I stopped Martha half-way to the check-out and told her to look back.
The man was now showing the bananas to another man.
As we turned and walked on I had a little better understanding of where some of the over-reaching laws developed by law-makers come from.  Mostly, though, I was worried that the man was going to put the bananas back in the display and leave them there for some innocent housewife to pick up and take home to her family.
--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment