Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Just This Morning, Just Now


The dark chevrons of morning birds drop and vault at the edge of the arroyo near my home.  I catch glimpses of them from the windows of my home as I sit drinking my morning coffee.  I am listening to Seven Mary Three and the Stone Temple Pilots on my stereo.
A year ago, I stopped watching the morning news.  No more of that.
When I was a small child I imagined that I was born a hollow sphere.  Life, I further imagined, was the process of filling the sphere with memories and ideas.
I started with ideas first.  I would become a great Archeologist and travel to Egypt to sweep sands away from history.  I would collect a sample of every stone and insect.   I would invent a way to stop the wind from blowing.  I would wear the same blue jacket from cradle to grave.
Soon, memories began to fill me.  Toy trucks to real ones.  Building this home.  Climbing mountains.  Learning the names of plants.  The certain memories of long-time friends and loved ones vaulting up through me like the birds outside my home.
And the birds outside are just now turning the colors of new flowers as they cross through the fingers of sunrise light reaching into our mountain valley.
Some of the colors are yet to be named.
--Mitchell Hegman

 

No comments:

Post a Comment