Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, July 22, 2013

Fireflies: Pretty Dangerous


The genetic defect in me that forces me to pick up pretty rocks and put them in my pocket also spurs me to read weird factoid stuff (which I do not retain).  So last night I got to thinking about how, at fifty-two years of age, I found myself chasing my first firefly near the Tennessee River in Knoxville, Tennessee as my adult daughter watched in great chagrin.  Thinking about that led me to reading about fireflies on the web.  I discovered that one species of fireflies is sometimes called a femme fatale firefly.  The female femme fatale uses her pretty lights to wink out the sexiest signals of other species of fireflies.  The males of other species are highly attracted; and when they swoop in to check out the hot babe…
Well, you know what happens.

--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment