Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Rainbows Stab the Mountains


Yesterday, I woke to a lovely calm.  As is my usual habit, I stepped outside to test the temperature.  I discovered a warm morning scented of pine trees and damp earth.  Deep blue sky and soft white cotton fringes of light lay across the Big Belt range.
Nodding my agreement, I stepped back inside and went about my normal morning rituals.   
Not more than an hour later, an enormous black and cobalt stormfront heaved over the Rocky Mountains and inked darkness over the valley again.  At once, a hard wind pushed from the east, forcing all the trees in my yard to tremble and lean away.  The storm was sucking away all of the good air as it boiled up over the Great Divide.  Darkness soon reached around my house like hands clasping a cube.
I drifted from window to window and watched as dusky curtains of rain swept back and forth across the prairie in front of my house.  Out back, the unsettled lake sloshed back and forth.  Weird patches of yellow light roved across the face of the nearby hills and across the open valley where breaks in the clouds allowed a little sunshine through.  Then, as the air calmed again, an array of rainbow ends began to stab the mountains immediately behind my house where a single patch of light fell across the mountain there.
Storm or not, I ran outside with my camera.  I have posted a couple of the photos.
 
 
--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Very nice description. Must have been an awesome sight. Precious pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The entire storm--beginning to end--was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete