Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Fading

Just this: I am in the presence of 20 pounds of fading housecat.
My boy Carmel has, over the last few weeks, greatly reduced his intake of food.  He has entirely stopped climbing up into his favorite cat perch at the bay window.  He does not seek to go outside. 
Yesterday, I tried on a dozen occasions to entice Carmel to eat.  He ate only a few sparse bites and spent the day on the floor near my feet with eyes shut.
This morning he sniffed at my offerings of food and slowly walked away.
I have seen this kind of behavior before.  The slow walk out the last open door.
The seeking of low, dark places.
Silence.

--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. I keep hoping he will make a turn for the better. He ate a bit last night. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete