Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, April 5, 2019

The Great Migration


Yesterday morning, as I sat calmly soaking in my hot tub, I began to hear geese honking on approach to the far side of my house and out of view.  This is not uncommon.  My house lies directly under the migratory flyway for geese on their way north.
This time of year, geese overfly my house daily.
But the cacophony of the geese calling back and forth soon grew to an unusual level. I am talking block party gone awry noise.  New Year’s riot noise.
At just about the time I was ready to fling myself from the tub and trot around the house, naked, to see what was going on, geese appeared high overtop me. 
Skein after skein of geese slid overtop me.  Thousands upon thousands upon thousands of geese.  More geese than I have ever seen in the air.
They absolutely filled the sky above my house and far beyond.
Fortunately, I had my smarter-than-me-phone with me.  I managed a few decent shots.  I have posted two of my photographs here.
What you see in my photographs are but a fraction of a fraction of what I saw.
—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment