Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, April 25, 2019

Compatibility Telemetry


My computer is very smart.  I mean, hello, it’s a Google machine.  You can’t get smarter than that.  Early this morning, upon first firing up my computer, I noticed a bit of sluggish behavior on its part. 
My computer does not drink coffee, so that could not account for the lethargy.
As I ponk-ponked at the keyboard repeating commands to no avail, a window popped-up and warned me of high disk usage by “Compatibility Telemetry.”
Wow.
That sounded like a really smart thing going to work.
I stopped poking my computer in the face for a couple minutes and let it wake up.  Once my machine seemed to respond normally, I Googled “compatibility telemetry.”
Turns out compatibility telemetry is a spy.  Yep.  A spy built right into Widows 10.  Compatibility telemetry collects and regularly reports software usage, performance, and diagnostic data to the Microsoft mothership.
The idea here, apparently, is to root out potential software problems.
Hello, Windows 10, I found your problem.  It’s called compatibility telemetry.
—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment