Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, August 25, 2019

Aster and Fairy Bells



Arctic Aster
Posted today are a couple photographs of flowers I captured on an afternoon walk near my cabin.  I am certain the first flower is an aster.  In looking through all of my books on flowers and searching online, I think the flower is, specifically, an Arctic aster.
The Arctic aster ranges from the Yukon in the north down to Colorado.  This plant is willing to grow in dry and rocky soils.
Some tribes used the roots, stems, and flower to produce a tea for the treatment of backaches.  The tea was taken while sitting in a steam bath.

Rough-Fruited Fairy Bells
A member of the lily family, rough-fruited fairy bells enjoy a wide range.  In the western half of North America, they flourish from British Columbia down to Arizona and New Mexico.  They favor rich, moist soils in forested areas. 
Rough-fruited fairy bells blossom and produce their berries in pairs.  The fruit, though (in my mind) suspiciously colored, are edible and said to be bland to mildly sweet.
I have not yet tasted one of the berries.
The Blackfoot people used the berries to treat snow-blindness.  They did this by inserting the seeds from plant under the eyelids for the night.

—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. That is interesting about the Blackfeet and the berries. Did it work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently it did. My resources are pretty limited on that. There is still a lot we could re-learn.

    ReplyDelete