Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, August 31, 2019

My Coffee Maker has Gone Soft


The coffee maker at my cabin is unusual.  For starters, it is white in color.   Additionally, this coffee maker lacks a hot plate.  Instead of using a hot plate to keep the coffee warm, the carafe is also white and well insulated.
Back to that in a bit.
Upon waking in the mountain darkness this morning, I wobbled out from my bedroom to start coffee brewing.  I rubbed at my eyes the whole time.   As always, I prepped everything last night so a simple press of the on/off button would begin the brewing process.
I had in mind I might go back to bed and wait until the coffee finished before assaulting my day.
When I reached the rolling island upon which the coffee maker presently stands, I reached out in the darkness and tried to tap the coffee maker's onboard switch.
What the…?
Overnight, my coffee maker had gone soft!  Pillow soft.  Soft as a marshmallow.
I poked at it twice.
For an instant a kind of righteous fear gripped me.  Had I finally fallen into an alternate universe as I suspected I someday would?  Did solid now have a new definition?
I strained my eyes to see the coffee maker.  Two white objects stood there side by side.
A double universe then?
I quickly backtracked to a bank of light switches and flicked on all three of them.
A wash of light fell across everything.
Ahhhh.
My bad.
I was trying to switch on an upright roll of paper towels.

—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. "Righteous fear" made me laugh out loud and my fiance's dogs were suddenly very still and stared at me. Coffee is life, there is no time for alternate univerese shenanigans before one is fully conscious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no room in this life for bad coffee experiences. Haha.

    ReplyDelete