Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, August 17, 2019

Avocado Hand


Avocados are dangerous.  Far more dangerous than tomatoes or onions.  For several years, especially since the NAFTA trade agreement flooded the U.S. with an abundant supply of avocados, injuries have been on the rise. 
Last year, here in the U.S., 24 people per day were rushed to the ER for something emergency physicians have termed “avocado hand.”  In other words, injuries caused while cutting avocados.  People accidentally stabbing their palms.  Cutting their fingers.  Cutting their buddy’s fingers.  Perhaps, attempting to juggle paring knives before going to work.
Some folks are seriously maiming themselves.  Furthermore, avocado hand is rapidly becoming a more widespread phenomenon.   In Britain, one plastic surgeon, Simon Eccles, sees an average of 4 patients each week suffering from avocado hand.
Most injuries occur when people attempt to remove the pit or peel.  
Admittedly, an avocado is not near as scary as, say, a black widow spider, but then, we are usually not chasing after spiders with knives.
—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. I would chase spiders with a knife if I had the where withal to get my pocket knife out of my pocket. By the time I think about my knife I'm out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is pretty much where I am at also.

    ReplyDelete